Downpatching is a method in Dark Souls II to return the game to a previous version.
The best way to downpatch the game is to use the Steam Console to download various depots containing previous versions of the game.
All categories that use an older version of the game use game version 1.02 Regulation 1.05
- Press the Windows Key + R. This will open the Run window.
- Open the steam console by typing the following string: steam://open/console , Steam should now open in Console Mode.
- Insert the string of the depot you wish to download. For Dark Souls II this is: download_depot 236430 236432 1803710700711034863
- Steam will now download the depot. Note: There is no progress bar of the download in Steam, but it is still downloading in the background.
- After the download is complete, return back to the Console of Steam. It should show the temporary local directory in which the depot has been stored. This is usually something like: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_236430\depot_XXXXXX. Just take the files out of that directory and store them to a location of your liking.
- To use the downpatched version, just run the DarkSoulsII.exe. If you are using the steam controller support you need to overwrite these downloaded files to the existing files in your \\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls II\Game folder. Remember to back up your existing files first of course.
Downpatching Tutorial using Steam Depots by Mr_Brood