Any% Current Patch
Dark Souls II Any% is a speedrun category in which the player tries to complete the game as fast as possible. There are no added restrictions on how the player completes the game, they must simply start a new character and beat the final boss, Nashandra, as quickly as they can. Glitches, skips and sequence breaks are all allowed with the exception of Parrywalk and Binoboost. Using other programs to affect the game or editing the game code is not allowed; apart from a few exceptions allowed by the community.
The world record is 51:35 RTAReal Time Attack by ffleret ().
- Like all Dark Souls II speedruns the run time is recorded using a timer program.
- Runners have to start the timer just as they gain control of their character in Things Betwixt and stop the timer once the cutscene starts after killing Nashandra.
- You may not edit your game in any way other than using Dxtory to cap your game at 60 FPSFrames per second.
- You may kill as many or as few bosses as you want to finish the game.
- You may not use savefiles. Using savefiles is common when practicing certain parts in a run but these are not counted as 'official' times.
- Glitches, skips and sequence breaks are all allowed with the exception of Parrywalk and Binoboost.
Learning a speedrun in Dark Souls II may seem daunting at first but there are ways of making the learning process easier. Start by doing an initial run through and making sure to do the following things:
- Follow the notes as accurately as you can (getting safety bonfires is fine, also feel free to skip using Red Tearstone Ring (when applicable) to start with). Don't level more than you should. Try not to lose large amounts of souls since there is no way to get them back.
- Make savefiles before each part that you might have trouble with. You can just copy the savefile (generally in "\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\DarkSoulsII\<SomeCode>") into a seperate folder or use the SpeedSouls - Save Organizer.
- Make splits. Download a program like Livesplit or WSplit and setup your splits. It doesn't matter how bad they are in you first run.
Once you have completed your first run and made savefiles practice the parts you are least confident with then try another run. When you get more confident you should stop getting safety bonfires and start doing riskier strategies.