The Warp Glitch is a glitch in Dark Souls that allows you to wrong warp. The glitch involves warping from an area and then getting the game to lose your current exact position (the way you achieve that depends on the version of the warp glitch you're doing, see the Versions section below for more details). When the game loses your exact position, it spawns you at the default location of the area you've warped from.
An area can sometimes include two named regions of the game instead of only one. For example, New Londo Ruins and the Valley of Drakes are considered only one area, same for Firelink Altar and the Kiln of the First Flame, Darkroot Basin and Darkroot Garden, etc. As such, they share a single default location where the player can spawn in using this glitch. Default locations are arbitrary points set by the developers.
While warp glitches could be used in Any% or All Bosses, the community agreed on limiting warp glitches to Any% Kiln Skip. The reasoning is that this glitch is savefile manipulation using functionality outside of the game and is thus a grey area in terms of general speedrun definitions. Another issue is the possibility of undoing progress and the IGTIn-Game Time spent on the progress by simply force-closing the game during regular gameplay before the game has time to save that progress. This allows for retrying sections of the game and fixing mistakes like dying without any real penalty, effectively turning the run into a segmented run.
The first version only works on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 platforms up until patch version 1.05. This version is performed by quitting the game (PSHome > Quit the game | Xbox Home > Dashboard) during the loading screen, with no specific timing. This version is also not capable of doing a warp glitch in an area if the last bonfire you rested at is in that same area, making it not viable for world record.
The second version was discovered on July 16th, 2014 by Kenny T, but it only works on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and only in online game mode which means you need to pay for an Xbox Live Gold subscription to be able to use it. It is performed by creating an Xbox Live party during the loading screen, with no specific timing.
The third version was discovered on September 10th, 2016 by tehderpyherpguy and works on all platforms but is much harder to do than the 2 previous versions. This version is performed by quitting the game (PSHome > Quit the game | Xbox Home > Dashboard | ALT-F4) at the last frames during the loading screen.
|Platform||Version 1||Version 2||Version 3|
- Dark Souls - Skip to the Kiln Without The 4 Lord Souls Glitch (Outdated), by eulogy1337 on YouTube
- 25:11 IGT Kiln Skip speedrun done on Xbox 360 using version 1, by Treynquil on YouTube
- Kiln skip, current patch on Xbox 360, by Kenny T on YouTube
- Kiln skip, current patch on Xbox 360 Tutorial, by CapitaineToinon on YouTube
- 21:04 IGT Kiln Skip speedrun done on Xbox One using version 2, by CapitaineToinon on YouTube
- Accidently might of found a new glitch (Spoilers), by Kennyyyyyy on Reddit
- Update on glitch I accidently found on current update (Kiln Skip). Explantion and proof!, by Kennyyyyyy on Reddit
- Kiln skip done on PC - without DSFIX, by CapitaineToinon on Twitch
- Pinwheel skip done on PC, by CapitaineToinon on Twitch
- Version 3 done on Xbox One , by CapitaineToinon on YouTube
- Version 3 done on PS3, by Mordos_ on Twitch
- 20:57 IGT Kiln Skip speedrun done on PC using version 3, by CapitaineToinon on YouTube
- I glitched into the Kiln Of the First Flame, by tehderpyherpguy on Reddit
- Kiln skip has been found on PC, by glitterydustfilament on Reddit