Dark Souls is a 3D Action RPGRoleplaying Game developed by FromSoftware Inc. and was released in late 2011. A DLCDownloadable Content named Artorias of the Abyss was released in mid 2012, which is included the PC version. The game is available for PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. It is also playable on Xbox One via Backwards Compatibility.
Check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) if you have general questions regarding methods and strategies used in Dark Souls speedruns, and the Leaderboards for the best times ever achieved.
- Any%: Reaching the credits as quickly as possible.
- Any% No Wrong Warp: Reaching the credits as quickly as possible without the use of any Wrong Warp.
- Any% Force Quit: Reaching the credits as quickly as possible with the usage of force quit mechanics permitted which allows for the Force Quit Wrong Warp.
- All Bosses: Finishing the game and defeating every enemy that is considered a boss (health bar at the bottom of the screen). This includes the DLCDownloadable Content.
- Any%: 36:52 by CapitaineToinon () - Route: Dragon Tooth
- Any% No Wrong Warp: 41:13 by CapitaineToinon () - Route: BKGS
- Any% Force Quit: 20:45 by CapitaineToinon () - Route: Great Club
- All Bosses: 1:09:56 by Kahmul78 () - Route: Mail Draker
Note: All times are In-game time.
See also: Timeline of all tracked world records.
There are a number of glitches, tricks and sequence breaks that can significantly shorten the amount of time needed to progress through the game. Dark Souls is a heavily exploitable game so the following list is only a selection of possible exploits most often used in speedruns.
- Animation Cancel: Allows the player to cancel the animation of an action caused by interacting with an object (levers, doors, ...).
- Fall Control Quitout: Allows the player to survive almost any drop in the game which would normally kill you on impact.
- Item Dupe: Allows repeated use of an item.
- Item Swap: Allows the player to use normally unusable items.
- Moveswap: Swaps the running and rolling attack from one weapon to another, leading to ridiculous damage output with the right combination.
- Slope Quit: Prevents fatal fall damage or a death from some killboxes by carefully timing a quitout as you land on certain kinds of slopes.
- Tumblebuff: Allows the player to buff normally not buffable weapons with sorceries and miracles.
- Wrong Warp: Allows the player to wrong warp to different locations than normally possible.
- Blighttown Skip: Allows the player to skip the area Blighttown entirely.
- Capra Skip: Allows the player to enter the Depths without killing Capra Demon.
- Ceaseless Skip: Allows the player to skip fighting Ceaseless Discharge, saving about 2 minutes.
- Duke Skip: Allows the player to skip the prison area in The Duke's Archives, saving a scripted death and about 5 minutes of running.
- Eingyi Drop: Allows the player to reach the Centipede Demon boss room by going out of bounds near the Daughter of Chaos bonfire using Eingyi's grab attack and Fall Control.
- Firesage Elevator Clip: Allows the player to clip past the elevator in Quelaag's Domain that leads down to Demon Firesage.
- Firesage Skip: Allows the player to skip Demon Firesage and the Golden Gate, and to jump down into the Centipede Demon arena.
- Lower Undead Burg Skip: Allows the player to gain access to Lower Undead Burg before acquiring the normally necessary key beforehand.
- Quelaag Skip: Allows the player to skip past the Quelaag bossfight.
- Royal Wood Skip: Allows the player to skip a large portion of the Royal Wood area.
- Seal Skip: Allows the player to skip killing Ingward and lowering the water in New Londo Ruins to kill the Four Kings.
- Sen's Gate Skip: Allows the player to skip the main gate of Sen's Fortress and that way ringing the two Bells of Awakening to open it.
- Deathcam: Top-down camera view allowing for various skips by keeping assets of a map unloaded.
- Griggs Skip (Pewdiepie Skip): Allows the player to open the door to Griggs' room without going through his dialogue first.
- Ringswap: Switching out your Red Tearstone Ring for the Dusk Crown Ring and then switching it back again. Puts you automatically at half health which makes RTSRRed Tearstone Ring setups quite easy. Commonly used in All Bosses runs.
- Save & Quit: Saving and reloading the game resets all enemy positions, the player position (saving the player from deadly falls) and resets boss encounters that are currently ongoing, placing the player character outside the boss foggate.
- Toggle Escape: Allows the player to skip the landing animation after a fall by switching to another equipped weapon slot (also works empty-handed)/one-handing your right-hand weapon in mid-air and pressing the Dodge button upon landing.
- Tokhi Bombs: Two strategically thrown bombs in The Bed of Chaos boss encounter. Shortens the fight by about 1:10 minutes.
(These rules apply to all Dark Souls speedrun categories. Each category also has its own set of rules in addition to the ones listed here.)
- Because of significant discrepancies in load times and framerate on all the platforms, the official run time is counted as the In-game time (IGTIn-Game Time). The run ends once the credits appear, meaning you have multiple options to see your final time:
- Use the In-Game Time Livesplit PlugIn to always be able to check your time.
- Force-close the game via Alt + F4 on PC or the console dashboard on PS3/X360/Xbox One during the credits, restart the game and go to the Load Game screen in the main menu.
- Quitout in NG+ and check your time. This has the disadvantage of counting the time spent in NG+, amounting to roughly 1-2s depending on your quitout speed.
- You may not make any modifications to the game that affect the gameplay itself. This includes DSFix's popular framerate feature which has to be completely turned off.
- You may not use the debug version of the game, only the normal version is allowed.
- Playing in offline mode is mandatory. Online play with other players in any way is completely banned.
- If you use the Save & Quit mechanic at any point during a run you are required to resume gameplay immediately on the same character. Loading a different character intentionally in any way is not allowed.
- Forcing the game to close by using ALT + F4 or similar measures is not allowed in any category except Any% Force Quit. Unintended crashes of the game on the other hand do not invalidate a run as long as gameplay is resumed as soon as possible. This rule does not apply to the forced closing at the end of a run to validate the IGTIn-Game Time as stated above.
- You may not use savefiles. Savefile runs are common when practicing categories with weapons that do not have 100% drop rates but these are not counted as 'official' times. Savefiles can also be abused to retry sections to improve the IGTIn-Game Time so they are not allowed.
- Getting Started
- SpeedSouls - Save Organizer
- Droprate Tracker
- In-Game Time Livesplit PlugIn
- No-Logo mod